• Concept, Design & Production: Barrie Tullett
• Format: 32pp (including soft covers), French
• folded, Japanese stab-bound book.
• Size: 160x133mm
• Publisher: The Caseroom Press
• Publication Date: Winter 2015
• Price £20
• Available from: Barrie Tullett
In 1995, the Scottish poet Gilbert Adair, translated Perec’s La disparition into English, giving the book the title A Void, and remaining true to Perec’s original by never using a word with the letter ‘e’... This book is a translation of the original. And as such it loses something in translation, but also becomes something of its own.
A smaller version of the original – this one can be taken home without the need to buy a suitcase.
Both these books are inspired by a collection of alphabets ‘for Architects and Designers’, published in 1965. The original book is an oversized volume, hence the oversized original version of Perec. One font in particular, a slab serif with a delightfully curved body, had the most wonderful negative spaces between the characters.
Digitally printed and Hand assembled.